Still the most valuable test of equipment used on yachts the Yachting World magazine survey of yachts taking part in the ARC (Atlantic Rally for Cruisers) has just been published with 196 respondents.
The survey asks yachts to rate equipment in terms of reliability, user friendliness and value-for-money with a total score average these to determine the highest rated.
Here is a summary:
- Autopilots: Raymarine smartpilots ST6000+/1/2 (carried by 86 in the fleet)
- Wind-powered gensets: Air X (carried by 6)
- Wind self-steering: Windpilot (carried by 9)
- Diesel gen-sets: Northern Lights (carried by 4)
- AIS: Easy AIS (carried by 10)
- Data Comms: SSB Modem (carried by 35)
- Email providers: Gmail (used by 5)
- Watermakers: Katadyn/PUR (carried by 9)
- Downwind sails: Poled-out genoa (used by 57%)
For more detailed information see the October issue of Yachting World.